Thursday, May 03, 2007

Do you know where a CTM machine is?



The other day I decided to actually count the copius amount of Canadian Tire money in my wallet. The sum is (drum roll please)

$ 4.80 ¢

so for an extra 2 inches of width in my wallet I can buy a roll of ducttape at Canadian Tire. In lew of this I have decided that Canadian Tire should make larger bills than 5¢, 10¢ ectetera.
When one thinks of the actually concept of Canadian Tire money, it is really quite amazing. It has become a part of Canada, engrained into it's culture. The phrase "Canadian Tire Money" has almost become a word (canidiantiremunny). Canadian Tire money is Canada's unofficial second currency. It's even common place to see a couple of bills from Canadian Tire in the charity boxes in the local grocery stores.
What started as probably a advertising campaign in the past has somehow managed to keep a good grip in Canadian society of advertising, such as: Gas points, Safeway points, IGA stickers, and many other little ways to make us by more of everything and anything.
Anyways, I still can't choose between a roll of ducttape, a hotdog, (because the little hotdog stand outside of Canadian Tire accepts CTM) or to keep collecting my CTM for something bigger. But I thought I'd bring that to attention.

3 comments:

Rachel Penner said...

I think I have about $20 in CTM somewhere. I found it when I moved and I lauged so hard

and I like the new title. explain it to me sometime alrighty?

Jin said...

CTM! i dont usually get that stuff...i can never find any. oh well. more for you i guess!

Sam said...

Hey guess what! Someone gave me twenty cents in CTM. now I'm at an even five bucks.